Coolum Beach SLSC
IRB Driver Certificate - Silver Medallion
The IRB Driver is responsible for safely operating the IRB in the surf zone and managing the IRB Crew. The Silver Medallion IRB Driver Certificate provides participants with the skills and knowledge to effectively drive and manage an Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB) in surf rescue operations.
What qualifications or prerequisites do I need?
- Qualifications - no specific qualifications
- Prerequisites - Bronze Medallion and IRB Crewperson Certificate and Marine Drivers Licence
- Other important requirements - Meet local state/NT marine licensing requirements where required If you believe you already possess some or all of the skills and knowledge of this award, or who have received one or more of the related units of competency, you may wish to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Credit Transfer. You must be at least 16 years of age to commence training. You must be at least 17 years of age on the date of the final assessment.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
Understand the roles and responsibilities of an IRB Driver, including:
- List the duties of an IRB Driver
- List the safety considerations when operating an IRB
- Provide direction to an IRB Crewperson in all their operational duties
- Communicate effectively with Crewperson, the public and patients in the normal performance of duties
Drive an IRB
- Identify the components of an IRB motor
- Launch an IRB safely and efficiently
- List motor hazards in the surf
- Safely and efficiently negotiate the surf while driving an IRB
- Perform emergency procedures
Perform rescues in an IRB as a Driver
- Perform conscious and unconscious patient pick-ups
- Perform complex rescue operations including swimming rescues, sailboarder and kite surfer rescues
- Contribute to search and rescue operations; liaising effectively with other emergency response services as required
Prepare and maintain an IRB motor
- Perform pre-operational checks and preventative maintenance of the IRB motor
- Perform post-operations maintenance of the IRB motor
- Perform motor re-start procedure after submersion in the surf
- Report major wear and damage according to organisational procedures
Each course schedule can vary depending on trainer and facility availability. Specific schedules will be issued for each course.
Interested in a training course at Coolum Beach SLSC?
Complete the following form to register your interest in the next course/s.
Latest from our SLSC Blog
Back to Coolum Day!
All members past & present are invited to come together for our annual “Back to Coolum" on Saturday 9th October commencing at 3.00pm in the Members Common Room. The event is a chance to reminisce over a quiet ale or two about the good old days and reflect on how far we have come. Please click ...
Come & Try Day Success!
Once again, a great turn out for the Coolum Boaties at the Come & Try Day last Sunday 5th Sept. Our boaties attended the wonderful OzSki Resort as the surf was just too big on the day. If you are interested in joining our boaties crew, please submit your interest to our Surf Boat Coach (Dave To...
Sponsors Welcome to Season
Last Friday night we hosted a Welcome to Season event for our Sponsors in our members area. The event was an opportunity to talk to our sponsors about the highlights of season 20-21 and provide an update of the priorities for our 103rd season – as well as to say a sincer thanks for their support....