Radio Operator Certificate
Radio Operator Certificate requirements
Radio operators provide communication and coordination support to lifesaving services and external emergency services agencies.
- Use communication systems and equipment in a lifesaving environment
- Transmit and receive communications in a lifesaving environment
- Maintain communications equipment in a lifesaving environment.
The Radio Operators Certificate provides participants with the skills and knowledge to operate communications systems and equipment in surf lifesaving operations.
What qualifications or prerequisites do I need?
- Qualifications - no specific qualifications
- Prerequisites - no prerequisites
- Other important requirements - SLSA Award entry requirements (other than age) UOC prerequisites If you believe you already possess some or all of the skills and knowledge of this award, or who have received one or more of the related units of competency, you may wish to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Credit Transfer. You must be at least 13 years of age on the date of the final assessment.
Important: If you don't hold a Bronze Medallion or Surf Rescue Certificate you will need to also complete the Observers Award. This is generally offered as part of the Radio Course if required.
Each course schedule can vary depending on trainer and facility availability. Specific schedules will be issued for each course.
Support Coolum Surf Club
Not ready to become part of Coolum Surf Club but still want to help?
It takes a lot of money to run a surf lifesaving club; from the equipment needed on the beach (vehicles, boards, IRBs, first aid kits, defibrillators etc) to administration and training to facilitate patrolling.
So if you can't join us, support us through one of the following options.