IRB Driver Certificate - Silver Medallion
The IRB Driver is responsible for safely operating the IRB in the surf zone and managing the IRB Crew. The Silver Medallion IRB Driver Certificate
provides participants with the skills and knowledge to effectively drive and manage an Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB) in surf rescue operations.
What qualifications or prerequisites do I need?
- Qualifications - no specific qualifications
- Prerequisites - Bronze Medallion and IRB Crewperson Certificate and Marine Drivers Licence
- Other important requirements - Meet local state/NT marine licensing requirements where required If you believe you already
possess some or all of the skills and knowledge of this award, or who have received one or more of the related units of competency, you
may wish to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Credit Transfer. You must be at least 16 years of age to commence training.
You must be at least 17 years of age on the date of the final assessment.
By the end of this course, you will be able to: Understand the roles and responsibilities of an IRB Driver, including:
- List the duties of an IRB Driver
- List the safety considerations when operating an IRB
- Provide direction to an IRB Crewperson in all their operational duties
- Communicate effectively with Crewperson, the public and patients in the normal performance of duties
Drive an IRB
- Identify the components of an IRB motor
- Launch an IRB safely and efficiently
- List motor hazards in the surf
- Safely and efficiently negotiate the surf while driving an IRB
- Perform emergency procedures
Perform rescues in an IRB as a Driver
- Perform conscious and unconscious patient pick-ups
- Perform complex rescue operations including swimming rescues, sailboarder and kite surfer rescues
- Contribute to search and rescue operations; liaising effectively with other emergency response services as required
Prepare and maintain an IRB motor
- Perform pre-operational checks and preventative maintenance of the IRB motor
- Perform post-operations maintenance of the IRB motor
- Perform motor re-start procedure after submersion in the surf
- Report major wear and damage according to organisational procedures
Each course schedule can vary depending on trainer and facility availability. Specific schedules will be issued for each course.
Interested in a training course at Coolum Beach SLSC?
Complete the following form to register your interest in the next course/s.